After more than a year (wow, that was a long time…), we were finally able to release a new version of our The Settlers III remake. We have a lot of new exciting stuff for you:
- A new and completely rebuild Android App. Special thanks go to Tom Pratt who developed most of it! The new UI doesn’t look like the original one you’re used from the PC game but was adapted to fit to Android devices. Please note that the UI is, as always, not completely finished and will be subject to change. Please see our new Android User Guide on how to use the Android UI.
- The AI opponents have also improved a lot again. The AI is now using pioneers to expand its territory even faster.
- The stock building has been added. You can now store materials in the stock and configure what to stock either globally (via the menu known from the original game) or locally when selecting the stock building and configuring it there.
- The AI uses the new stock building to store gold and by this improve its offensive combat strength.
- Now, you can also configure the tools and weapons to be produced manually. The system will automatically produce the tools needed to create required workers. But if you specify a fixed number of tools manually, those will be produced first. If you specify a distribution for the tools, this will be considered with the lowest priority to ensure all your workers get their tools first.
- The menu to see how many settlers of each type you have, has been added.
- The sound has been improved a lot in the desktop version of the game.
- And a lot of stuff I can’t remember any more…
- And of course several bugs have been fixed as well.
While we are continuing the development with several new contributors (thanks so much to them!), we are still looking for you and your friend with good programming skills to help us getting more stuff done even faster! 😉
Also, as requested by many of you, I opened up a Discord to make it easier for you guys to get in touch with us. And of course there is also a channel to find other players to meet up for multiplayer matches. You can find more information about how to get in touch with us and where to report bugs on our new Contact Us page.
So where will we go from here?
- I plan on improving the network code to make it much more stable. E.g. at the moment, the game cannot recover from even the shortest disconnect, which is a real pain…
- We will continue improving the Android App (there are already Pull Requests for this in the pipeline).
- We plan on replacing our OpenGL wrapper for the desktop version of the game. The reason is that JOGL (which we currently use) isn’t developed any more and causes crashs for some of our players. That’s why we want to switch over to LWJGL. If anyone has experience with this stuff, feel free to join the corresponding Discord channel.
- From what I saw, ships are also in the making by one of our newer contributors.
So thanks for your interest in the game and our work! We’re looking forward to your feedback and please like and share this with your friends so they can find this project, too!